I have never been to SXSW, but excited to head down this year for SXSW 2010. In preparation for my time in Austin I polled a few friends to get their advice and thought I would share it here.
Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts – and hope this is helpful to others, not just me.
Got more to add? Something myself and others should do or checkout? Let us know in the comments!
Charlie O’Donnell – EIR at First Round Capital
Pace yourself… dont get trashed, because you’ll forget who you met. Do however stay out late. Put more work into scheduling meals than scheduling sessions…they’re great opportunities to get to know people better. Get the cell numbers of people you know that are running the bigger parties so they can sneak you in past the lines. Carry an extra phone battery around at night. Keep session and conference hashtag searches going on Tweetdeck and match twitter accounts to faces so you can talk someone up IRL who makes smart comments.
Danny Wen – Founder of GetHarvest.com
* Don’t plan. Use http://sxsw2009.sched.org/ and just be flexible. Go to whatever strikes your interest.
* Take time to chill out. Visit friends outside of tech if you have ’em in Austin. Panel after panel and party after party, it’s easy to fill up your time with stuff to go to, but it can be overwhelming!
* iPhone/BB/Android battery charger. iPhones simply won’t last the full day when one’s down there.
* Upload badge photo in advance like they tell you to. Saves time.
* Have biz cards, twitter, 4sq. It’ll make it easy to stay in touch with your new friends.
* Be adventurous. Leave the comforts of downtown and convention center for events/parties that take a bit of effort to get to. It’ll be an adventure.
* Split a cab from the airport with other conf attendees. Everyone’s going to more or less the same locale, so make new friends and split the cab.
* Just enjoy yourself — don’t be there to sell or work. Just get to know people, famous or not famous.
Sam Huleatt – some ideas outside of the the SXSW activities…
… …go to Barton Springs (hot springs), grab a
breakfast burrito, visit Lance Armstrong’s bike shop (Mellow Johnny’s:
mellowjohnnys.com/), check out everyone favorite running shop:
(Runtex: runtex.com), check out the Whole Foods Headquarters (it’s
huge!), See some music at Stubbs (stubbsaustin.com)
What else?Austin Texas, SXSW