I began using Digsby a few weeks ago and have completely migrating to this awesome all in one instant messaging program. I have been looking for a complete solution to replace the multiple messaging systems I have been using to date – and Digsby it. If you are looking to consolidate your Gchat, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, ICQ, and social network profiles such as Facebook Digsby provides a great solution.
I sign up for just about every new productservicewebsite that comes along in the typical beta or web 2.0 fashion – but rarely do I become a frequent visitor or user. Digsby honestly solved a major problem that I faced daily. I found myself switching between instant message programs and windows quite often. I had consolidated down to two – Trillian and Gmail (for Gchat) but this was still quite annoying. Enter Digsby.
I was reminded about this program while in Times Square this week near 49th and Broadway and noticed this advertisement for Digsby on a trash can…nice!
Digsby has the following great functions which I feel are essential to any universal messaging system:
1. Tabbed messaging
2. Blinking notification control (new IM comes in – Digbsy stops blinking after a few times)
3. Re-nameable buddies (nothing is worse that getting a message from RandomBob389259 and not knowing who it is – plain names = confidence and clear communications)
4. Pop up notifications (I do not use these but feel its essential have as a feature:))
5. Turn off all soundsnotifications
6. Gchat, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AIM support
7. password protected main interface
8 Automatic program updates! (bonus: Constant communication via messages from the Digsby team)
9. No Rollover ads! (anyone who has used AIM recently knows what I am talking about)
10. theme control and conversation flow control
They operate under the programming mantra of release early and release often – something many other messaging systems do not do enough of. Some may see this constant updating as a burden, but when a bug gets fixed only days after submission I see it as great.
I think I have kicked the tires pretty hard on the program and have used it with many systems and have the following requests:
1. I think the buddy list interface could use some usability work – it is slightly confusing when you have 200+ listings
2. I would like to choose how many times the new message window blinks (if at all) in the task bar
3. why not make the main program completely minimized (as in live someone outside the task bar) and have only the chat window take up valuable real estate. Even using two monitors I find the less programs open the better down there.
4. Once you customize names in the buddy list such as GreatFriend8474237 to JimSmith – re-alphabetize by the new name, or at least give the option to do so.
If you have not done so by now be sure to email the folks at Digsby to get a code to download and run the program. Tell them Marketing.fm sent you and maybe they will reply faster with a download code 🙂